Pilot vending facility to be set up
THE MINISTRY of Transport and Works will be establishing a pilot vending facility at Graeme Hall, Christ Church.
According to a release issued today, it is in response to concern about “the proliferation of vendors on the ABC Highway and the serious implications it has for traffic safety”.
“The Ministry of Transport and Works decided to put a proposal to Cabinet for the establishment of a small number of approved vending facilities off the ABC Highway.
“Cabinet subsequently agreed to the establishment of vending facilities at the following locations: Wildey/Rendezvous; the Old Haggatt Hall Road and Graeme Hall East,” the Ministry said.
The release noted that an application was submitted to the Chief Town Planner who recently gave his approval subject to the following conditions:
– That vending activities during the week, that is, Monday through Friday shall be outside the 7.30 a.m. to 9.30 a.m. peak hour morning traffic;
– Provision shall be made for adequate-size culverts in the area of the ditch;
– The parking area should be delineated and made up to the satisfaction of the Chief Town Planner;
– Surface water should be contained on site to the satisfaction of the Chief Town Planner; and
– access to and egress from the site shall be left turn only and adequate signage to inform motorists shall be installed.
The Ministry said it has already created a design for the proposed site and is in the process of consulting with the relevant agencies such as the Ministry of Health and the Environmental Protection Department prior to commencing its building operations. (PR/NB)