UPP looking to new era of politics
The United Progressive Party has released a statement following today’s nomination process.
Below is the full text of the release:
“Today marks the beginning of something different, something exciting, and something that will have a profound impact on the future of our country.
The United Progressive Party has had twenty-three members duly nominated as candidates to contest the May 24 General Elections.
We are running in this election for the purpose of providing a voice for change from the status quo. The people of Barbados cried out from the depths of their frustration and despair that they are tired of switching from one major party to the next every few election cycles but seeing no real change. Labour party politics has failed us; previous politicians have failed us; the levels of corruption are rising, our productive sectors are contracting, and our debt levels are unacceptable.
The UPP’s message is simple, let us build the best possible Barbados. To this end we will focus on:
• Investment in STEAM industries to build capacity and increase our revenue;
• Leverage technology to improve governance and commerce
• Reform our justice system to endure access to justice for every Barbadian
• Empower communities so they can have a real voice in decisions that affect them
• Revitalise the City of Bridgetown as our financial and cultural centre
• Improve social services
This is the first that the UPP will be contesting an election although some of our members have participated before.
The official campaign website is: UPPBarbados.org We encourage people to go to the website and see our philosophy, manifestos and candidates.” (PR)