Posted on

Jordan does virtual conference with the media


nationnews

Social Share
Share

The Government of Barbados isn’t only talking the talk, it is walking the walk in relation to social distancing.

In a departure from what obtained last week, and even Sunday, media practitioners did not have to go to Ilaro Court for the daily briefing on the novel coronavirus COVID-19.

Instead, they joined in from where there are based – several from at home – both to listen to and question Minister of  Labour and Social Partnership Relations Colin Jordan; president of the Congress of Trade Unions and Staff Associations of Barbados Edwin O’Neal and acting chief medical officer Dr Anton Best.

Press secretary Roy Morris said: “Today’s is the first time that we are doing a digital press conference recognising social distancing, so there are no members of the media present, but they are all logged in online and will asked questions and we will do the responses that way.”

As usual, the media briefing was live streamed for a national/international audience.

Social distancing is part of Stage 2 of the National COVID-19 Response plan which requires people to maintain a space of at least three feet (one metre) from the next person.

It also limits gatherings to 25 people, and on Sunday, Minister of Tourism and International Transport Kerrie Symmonds noted the room had 26 when he gave his update on the tourism sector.

Jordan spoke about social distancing in public and said it was also important for employers to create the appropriate environment in the office so workers were comfortable.

Meanwhile, Morris said the update would no longer be daily and both the media and Barbadians would continue to receive information on the COVID-19 situation. (SAT)

LAST NEWS