Mount Gay Rum & Raisin Ice Cream
Learn how to make the best silky french vanilla ice cream at home. You will need only six simple ingredients to make this classic summer dessert.
PREP TIME: 10 min
COOK TIME: 30 min
SERVES: 10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups Pine Hill dairy whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups Sunny Morning heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 oz Mount Gay XO Rum
- 8 oz IGA Raisins
- 2 drops Waitrose Vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan gently warm Mount Gay XO Rum and IGA Raisins, remove from the heat, cover and allow to steep for at least 20 mins. Strain the raisins keeping both the rum and the raisins.
Pour the 1 1/2 cups Pine Hill Dairy Whole Milk and 1 1/2 cups Sunny Morning Heavy Cream in a saucepan. Add rum to the milk mixture, together with a pinch of salt and vanilla extract
- Bring the mixture to simmer over the medium heat (It will take about ten minutes).
- While the milk mixture is warming up, we can work on the egg yolks.
- Put four egg yolks and 2/3 cup sugar in a mixing bowl and beat them very well. Mix them for a few minutes, until it becomes pale in colour and will have a smooth and airy texture.
- When the milk mixture is starting to simmer and the egg yolks are whisked, we can start tempering.
- Using a ladle, slowly and gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg/sugar mixture, while constantly whisking the egg yolks.
- After you add a couple of ladles of hot liquid to the beaten eggs, and they are warmed up, you can add the rest of the milk mixture to the bowl and mix very well.
- Pour the tempered mixture back to the saucepan and put it on a low heat. Cook it for about ten minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken and the internal temperature reaches 170-175°F.
- Pour the mixture into a clean mixing bowl through a fine-mesh strainer. That will help to remove any cooked egg pieces and the vanilla bean.
- Let the mixture cool on the counter for 30-40 minutes. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or until it’s completely cold.
- Churn the ice cream in your KitchenAid mixer until almost set and add raisins and continue to churn until done.
- When done, transfer it to an air tight container and freeze overnight before serving.
Serving Size: 1 scoop
Calories: 221 kcal
Saturated Fat: 10g